Same Sex Unions

Whether you're planning a same sex marriage or civil partnership, Green Union can help you plan your big day

Same sex marriage advice

A civil partnership is the legal recognition of a same sex couple's relationship and gives you 'Civil Partnership Status' within the eyes of British Law. It is a legal requirement to give notice of your intention at your local registration authority and the civil partnership ceremony can take place either at a register office or venues presently approved for marriage. It is also possible for a civil partnership to be registered at the residence of someone who is housebound or seriously ill and not expected to recover. The General Register Office for England and Wales, for Scotland and Northern Ireland all have good websites detailing information about the rules governing civil partnerships in their areas.

You may want to arrange to have your own partnership ceremony and you could ask a friend to conduct it, or find a celebrant to help you plan a specially tailored blessing to suit you. Perhaps you've decided on a pagan handfasting or you're planning a renewal of vows. Celebrants are always open to ideas and variety for couples wanting to renew their vows several years down the line.

Same sex marriages are legal in England, Wales and Scotland - so the choice is yours! You may also wish to celebrate the conversion of your civil partnership (conducted prior to 2014), into a legal marriage. 

Whatever way you choose to celebrate your union, make it a green one!

More in this Category


Search Green Union

Type in your search terms and click ENTER / RETURN to search our website.

Wedding Advice

1. Getting Started - Wedding Budget - Wedding Planning Tips - Your Timeline

Wedding Directory

AccessoriesBride and Bridesmaid DressesCakes and CateringCelebrants

Wedding Blog Tags

GU IntroductionsWedding VenuesWedding AdviceGU Partner Focus