Perhaps the first and most important step is to set up your wedding budget - while there are hundreds of decisions to make for your wedding, setting a budget is the first as it will help shape nearly every other decision you make. I hear you cry ...
" Help! How do I set up a budget if I don’t have any idea where to start and what is reasonable and realistic? "
Well, there's no right answer to this loaded question, when it comes to tying the knot the options available to you are are endless and it’s almost impossible to pin down an exact estimate before doing some extensive homework. But here's a good place to start:
Follow these guidlines to work out your wedding budget:
- 50% on the reception including food and drink
- 15% on wedding outfits
- 10% on flowers
- 10% on photography
- 5% on entertainment
- 10% on everything else including stationary, fees, gifts etc.
- Allow a 5% to 10% contingency to your final figure for unforeseen expenses
But rules are there for breaking and you can save money in every area by being thrifty, clever and organised. You can hire, borrow, swap and make your own - not only will it help your budget but these are great ways to create less impact with your celebrations and make them more creative and individual. Here are a few things to bear in mind before you get carried away:
- It's a really good idea to set yourself a spending cap in each budget area.
- Write a list of items in order of importance and allocate a chunk of budget to each item. It will go a long way to help prevent you going over budget.
- Two key areas to keep a really tight control of are guest numbers and price per head.
- Wedding Insurance - don't even think about it, get insured! To date, as far as we are aware, there are no truly ethical insurance companies offering wedding insurance, but if enough couples ask, they may be tempted to offer a policy in the future.
Over on the blog Green Union's own eco friendly wedding planning consultant, Claire de la Motte tells us all about how to make wedding budgeting really easy.
Save up for your wedding day!
If you search the web you can find some banks with ethical practices that may offer good savings accounts.
More in this Category
Search Green Union
Type in your search terms and click ENTER / RETURN to search our website.
Wedding Advice1. Getting Started - Wedding Budget - Wedding Planning Tips - Your Timeline
- 2. Ceremonies and Venues - Ceremony Venues - Reception Venues - Same Sex Unions - Wedding Ceremonies3. Making It Happen - Green Transportation - Style and Atmosphere - Wedding Entertainment - Wedding Favours - Wedding Flowers - Wedding Food and Drink - Wedding Gifts - Wedding Photography - Wedding Stationery4. All Dressed Up - Footwear & Accessories - Gorgeous Grooms - THE Dress - Wedding Jewellery5. Beauty Naturally - Good Grooming - Health & Wellbeing - Healthy Hair - Makeup Magic6. Sustainable Hens, Stags and Honeymoons - Eco-Tourism - Hens and Stags - Honeymoon in the UKView All Wedding Advice Links
Wedding DirectoryAffiliatesBridal AccessoriesBride and Bridesmaid DressesCakes and Catering
- CelebrantsConfettiDecorFavours and GiftsFlowersGift RegistriesGuest AccommodationHair and MakeupHens, Stags and HoneymoonsInvitations and StationeryMarquees, Tents, Tipis, YurtsMusic and EntertainmentPhotographersPlanners and StylistsRings and JewelleryTablewareTransportationVenuesVideographyWedding WebsitesView All Categories
Wedding Blog TagsGU IntroductionsWedding VenuesWedding AdviceGU Partner Focus
- Wedding Marquees, Tipis, Tents and YurtsWedding Seasonal InspirationWedding Events, Workshops and CoursesWedding InspirationWedding Rings and JewelleryWedding FlowersWedding Services and HireWedding PhotographyReal WeddingsWedding CateringWedding StylingWedding PlanningWedding VideographyWedding Hair and Make UpHens and HoneymoonsGU HQWedding and Bridesmaid DressesGU SoulmatesWedding Competitions and Special OffersWedding ElopementsWedding AccessoriesWedding Favours and GiftsWedding DecorWedding ConfettiWedding StationeryWedding WebsitesWedding Music and EntertainmentWedding CakesWedding AttireWedding Sponsored PostGuest PostsWedding Gift RegistriesWedding Guest AccommodationWedding TransportationWedding Invitations and StationeryWedding CelebrantsInternational Wedding InspirationEnvironmental IssuesWedding Contributed ArticlesWedding GuestsConscious LivingConscious ConsumerismWedding CharitiesMarriage ProposalsShow All Tags